HomePipe Adds Security Capabilities to Rich Media Content Streaming Solution for Android
SecureShare and Automatic Sign-Out Features Curb Security Vulnerabilities on Android Devices
SEATTLE, WA--(Marketwire - Jul 26, 2011)HomePipe Networks (www.homepipe.net), the leading innovator in digital content access and file sharing for the mobile community, today released new security capabilities for the AndroidTM version of its rich media content streaming solution. HomePipe’s SecureShare authentication feature allows users to securely share digital content from any Android device by providing selective recipient access. HomePipe’s Automatic Sign-Out ensures the HomePipe connection is severed completely when the user closes the app, cutting off streaming and protecting the user’s content.
The security risks associated with file sharing services on mobile devices is widespread. The recent news of security vulnerabilities on older versions of the Android platform underscores the concern. According to Federal Trade Commission testimony before Congress, “[T]he rapid growth of mobile technologies has led to the development of many new business models involving mobile services. On the one hand, the innovations offer benefits to both businesses and consumers. On the other hand, they facilitate unprecedented levels of data collection, which are often invisible to consumers.”
“Android’s security vulnerabilities and Apple’s tracking and storage of location data should serve as a wake-up call to businesses and consumers,” said Chris Hopen, president and CEO of HomePipe Networks. “As individuals increasingly turn to mobile devices to streamline the convergence of their personal and professional lives, only HomePipe offers a cost-effective and highly secure solution for protecting data that is accessed and shared on those devices.”
As data security challenges increase, HomePipe offers IT departments an affordable and secure solution that can be implemented across corporate- and employee-liable mobile devices. Users can simply and safely access digital assets on their Android device, and securely share those assets anytime, from anywhere using HomePipe, as well as email, text or Facebook. Files are never uploaded, copied or stored within the cloud. HomePipe leverages existing storage so files remain safe and secure on the user’s computer.
- SecureShare: Users can easily customize HomePipe’s enhanced SecureShare authentication capabilities to protect sensitive information by providing selective access, and requiring specific recipients to login securely before viewing private files. Users can choose to authenticate via login or share files via public access with a link to the photo, file or folder. Using HomePipe for Android, users can also easily import contacts from Gmail, Yahoo!, Hotmail and other email providers directly into HomePipe, providing for one-click sharing.
- SocialShare: Share photos, files or folders from your Android device to Facebook. A link to the file and a thumbnail of the photo is posted to the users Facebook wall, along with any comment to friends and family. Files are not uploaded to Facebook, but rather remain securely stored on the user’s computer, allowing for easy control and removal.
- TextShare: HomePipe for Android now allows users to share streaming digital content via text message. Using the app, a text message with a shortened URL is sent to the recipient. This sharing method ensures enhanced security as the link cannot be tracked and all shared files reside safely on the user’s home storage device.
- Automatic Sign-Out: HomePipe for Android automatically signs users out when they exit the application, cutting off streaming access when the app is not in use. This ensures that content is protected, no matter where or in whose hands, the phone resides.
- iTunes® on Android: With HomePipe, Android users now have full access to their iTunes library. HomePipe’s A La Carte Playlist capability allows Android users to generate playlists from multiple iTunes and MP3 libraries. With one click, HomePipe for Android populates a list of all folders containing music files, and allows users to select from those folders to compile a single, unique playlist. HomePipe’s Now Playing feature lets Android users stream music or browse photos or documents while using other applications. Users can listen to music while viewing photos, access and edit documents or use any other Android app.
HomePipe for Android is immediately available at no charge from the Amazon AppStore for Android, Android Market or search for HomePipe for Android. To learn more about HomePipe for Android, visit the HomePipe website at http://www.homepipe.net/index.php/products/homepipe-for-mobile/homepipe-for-android
About HomePipe Networks, Inc.
HomePipe Networks is the leading innovator in digital content access and sharing and was recently recognized as a Global Top 500 App. The HomePipe service revolutionizes the ability for today’s mobile consumers and professionals to quickly, easily and securely access, view and share digital content (e.g. high resolution photos, videos, presentations, documents, and music) stored on a home or work computer from any Web browser or mobile device including Apple iPhone® and iPad®, Google® AndroidTM and Windows® Phone 7 - all without more cloud storage, uploading, syncing, organizing or complex software and hardware installations requiring additional fees. For more information or to try the free Lite Edition, visit http://www.homepipe.net. Follow HomePipe on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/HomePipeNetworks and Twitter at http://twitter.com/homepipe